back to top

Know the single-use plastic items to be banned from July 2022…

The single-use plastic items will be banned from July 2022, as per the Government’s advise. The EBNW Story features the list of items that are being banned.

Here is a list of things getting banned from 2022:

  1. Plastic flags
  2. Thermocol for decorations
  3. Plastic sticks of balloons
  4. Ear buds
  5. Utensils made from plastic
  6. Candy sticks

The state and UT governments, and the relevant central ministries and departments are told to establish a comprehensive action plan for the eradication of SUP, and the effective, as well as timely, execution of laws.

The Ministry of Environment has also established a national task force to coordinate efforts for this plan.

As the Government has decided to ban some items made from plastic in the coming year of 2022 to reduce the quantity of single-use plastics (SUPs), they have issued the Plastic Waste Management Amendment Rules, 2021, to limit the use of SUPs by the next year.

A central government committee has issued the SUP items to be banned based on the index of their utility and environmental impact.

Advisory for plastic bags from September 30

According to the announcement by the government, with effects from 30th September 2021, non-woven plastic carry bags should not be less than 60g per square metre.

The permitted thickness of plastic bags will be increased from its current 50 microns to 75 millimetres on September 30, 2021, and will shoot up to 120 microns on December 31, 2022.

Number of plastic bags used a year

The world uses 5 trillion plastic bags each year, and less that 1 percent are recycled. Most often made from Polyethylene, they take centuries to degrade. And according to a report by Central Pollution Control Board, India produces over 25,000 tonnes of plastic waste on a daily basis.

Published at :

EBNW Story is managed by students of Saksham Sanchar Foundation. If you like the efforts to make #BrilliantBharat, you can encourage them through donation - Thank you