Prime Minister Narendra Modi will commission INS Vikrant, the Made-in-India aircraft carrier, marking a major milestone in India’s defence. EBNW Story highlights the key features of INS Vikrant…
1. INS Vikrant has capability to accommodate 1,600 crew members and 30 aircraft on board.
2. 1NS Vikrant is India’s first home-built aircraft carrier to be commissioned today
3. Equipped with state-of-the-art facilities, the warship has been tipped as a “city on the move”.
4. INS Vikrant, the largest warship to be built in India, is 262 metres long and 62 metres wide.
5. It will be the country’s second aircraft carrier after INS Vikramaditya, which was built on a Russian platform.
6.Football fields: The warship is as massive as two football fields end to end and 18 floors tall, the Navy said in a video
7. Olympic pools: The hangar of the aircraft carrier is as big as two Olympic-size pools. INS Vikrant can accommodate 1,600 crew members and 30 aircraft on board. It is equipped with machines that can make 3,000 chapatis an hour.
8. 16-bed hospital: The warship, which took over a decade to be built, is equipped with a 16-bed hospital, 250 tankers of fuel, and 2,400 compartments.
Meanwhile Union minister Gajendra Singh Shekhawat termed INS Vikrant as the pride of India.
“Pride of India! Make in India !
“INS Vikrant” weighing 45,000 tonnes is India’s largest aircraft carrier which is made in India itself. Today Honorable Prime Minister Shri
G dedicated it to the Navy.
Proud, this is a festival of self-reliance, he said in his twitter handle posting beautiful pictures of the ship.