Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj, the founder of the Maratha Kingdom, celebrates his Tithi-based Jayanti on March 31.
The great warrior was born on February 19, 1630 and the day is celebrated as Shivaji Jayanti in India, particularly in the state of Maharashtra.
This year, that is 2021, Shivaji’s tithe based Jayanti is being celebrated on March 31.
Let’s know a few more facts about the great Maratha warrior:
- Shivaji Bhonsale was born in the hill-fort of Shivneri,
- Shivaji was said to be completely devoted to his mother Jijabai, who was deeply religious. His upbringing introduced him to Hindu epics of Ramayana and Mahabharata, which are said to have influenced his own views on Hindu values.
- Shivaji was skilled in mapping out military missions. He was extremely skilled at guerilla-style warfare and planned stealthy war operations.
- Shivaji successfully expanded the Maratha empire by capturing and building magnificent forts. Every year on Shivaji Jayanti, people of Maharashtra celebrate his birth anniversary by gathering at the forts Shivaji captured and built.
- During India’s struggle for independence, Bal Gangadhar Tilak invoked Shivaji and celebrated him as a figure of courage and valour in the face of oppression.