Dhirubai Ambani was an Indian business tycoon who founded Reliance Industries. His estimated net worth was 29 billion US dollars in 200, when he passed away. He was honoured posthumously with the Padma Vibhushan, India’s second-highest civilian honour In 2016 for his contributions to trade and industry. Let’s know a few facts about Dhirubhai…
1. Dhirubai Ambani was the son of Hirachand Gordhanbhai Ambani, a village school teacher from the Modh Baniya community and Jamnaben Ambani.
2. He was born in Chorwad, Gujarat on December 28, 1932.
3. He once made a huge money by melting the silver bullion and selling it as pure silver as he knew that the value of pure silver was much higher than the bullion.
4. He was known as affable and ambitious who was cheerful person with a risk taking ability.
5. After suffering a major stroke, Ambani was admitted to the Breach Candy Hospital in Mumbai on 24 June, 2002. This was his second stroke. The first had reported in February, 1986 which paralyzed his right hand leaving him in a coma for more than a week. He died on 6 July, 2002.
6. Ambani handed over control of Reliance to his sons – Mukesh and Anil after his first stroke in 1986.
After the death of Dhirubai Ambani, the Reliance group was split into Reliance Industries Limited headed by Mukesh and Reliance Anil Dhirubai Ambani Group headed by Anil.